Sunday, November 15, 2009

Daddy's not all done! (guest post by Josh)

Last night we had dinner with friends, and when the restaurant brought out an appetizer, we were all about to dig in when Baker looked at us, folded her hands and said “Daddy, pray?” We all got told by a 2-year old. (My 2-year old, I might add!)

We were at dinner for a total of about an hour and a half. The whole time, Baker didn’t throw a tantrum, scream, or cry. Not that she ever really loses it, but it was probably the longest she had sat in a highchair to date. We were quite proud! She did, however tell us when she was ready to go, “Baker all done”. I leaned over to tell her that mommy and daddy were still talking to our friends so she needed to wait until we were all done, at which point she leaned over to Amy and said, “Mommy all done talking.” She cracks me up!

There are so many times when I am proud of Baker, far more often than when I get upset with her. The more I see her grow, and how she reacts to Amy and I, the more “ah-ha!” moments I have in my relationship with God. Having Baker, I’ve come to better understand my relationship with God. We are all children of God, He's a parent to us. We do things that either make Him proud, or cause Him to be upset with us. The trick is knowing what makes God proud. With Baker, we discipline her if she disobeys us. She often gets immediate feedback from us on her behavior. With God, there’s not always immediate feedback. Sometimes, we won’t see the consequences of our actions until we die. If we want God to be proud of us, we need to know what makes God proud. The best way to know that, is to read the Bible. It's all spelled out in there. I know it's easier said than done, after all, it's long! But, now that I'm a parent myself, I feel like I’m able to better understand how God sees me, and I want to make Him proud. Now, if only I could remember to pray before meals.

4 comments:

Name: Josh and Amy said...

After we had such a great dinner with a fantastically-behaved child, we got home and Baker completely LOST it. She was in tears over Everything. I ended up putting her to bed a half-hour early thinking, "The only reason for her to be this upset is she's sick or tired." Low and behold this morning she wakes up with a 2 year old molar poking thru the surface of her gums. I guess she had a pretty good reason to be upset afterall!
- Amy

Joel and Vanessa said...

Awe... Poor Baker. But at least she's getting teeth. I'm starting to wonder if Beau even has teeth.

By the way Josh, you're little girl IS an amazing blessing. She is such a sweet, good girl. I'm sure #2 will be just as wonderful.

Mettler's said...

Of course! :) But those teeth really suck, so I understand! Great post by Josh and I'm assuming since you guys were out to dinner that the croup is gone?! Yay! Amy, I hope you managed to stay healthy through it! I loved the story about bless you because Coop always says bless you after coughing and sneezing too! Sometimes he will just say "Bless you mommy" or "Bless you daddy" for no reason...I always think, "Hmmm...you can never be blessed too much, right?!" :)

Jeni said...

What a great thought, thanks for sharing Joshie!