So Thursday was turning out to be a great
day. I was entering day 21 of when I
first contracted poison oak and the itching had finally stopped. I was busy at
work and wasn’t too terribly worried about finances anymore. Amy had just
texted me to remind me to come home on time because we were going to Texas
Roadhouse to celebrate her dad's birthday. The kids were super cute and
awesome. Life in general was just
great!
As I got in my car to drive home at 5
o'clock Amy called with what was about to change our lives forever. That
morning she had taken Caleb in to see the doctor because he had a cold he
couldn't seem to shake. Just to be on the safe side, the doctor ordered
blood work because he looked pale, and wanted to rule out anemia. As was
typical with Kaiser, we received an email with the results of the blood work
when it came in. Amy saw the results and
thought it was strange that so many of the results were outside of the normal
range. Then she got the call. It was not typical to receive a call from a
nurse telling us to take Caleb to the ER immediately. Amy didn’t know
what to think, so she called me and told me to come home right away, we needed
to go to the ER with Caleb.
We packed up the family, and instead of
going to Texas Roadhouse for an amazing meal we had been looking forward to all
week, we dropped off Baker and Eli with Jim and Sue, and headed for the ER with
Caleb, not knowing what to expect. The
drive was a quiet drive, as neither one of us wanted to let our minds wander
very far. Maybe this had something to do with Caleb's new habit of eating dirt when playing outside, or the sidewalk chalk he had eaten like a
corn on the cob. They probably just
wanted to give him some medicine or run an x-ray to make sure there wasn’t
something else he had eaten that he wasn’t supposed to.
When we checked in with Caleb, they got us
into an ER room, where they had a very nice doctor come in who told us, “The
levels of his blood work undoubtedly point to leukemia. He has low hemoglobin
and high white blood cell counts. We’re in the process of arranging
transport for you up to the pediatric ICU in our Roseville facility. I know you probably have lots of questions...................................
“
I didn’t hear the rest of what he said.
Our beautiful, bubbly, energetic, curious,
always smiling, little boy who at the moment was intent on playing in the sink
in the room we were in had just been diagnosed with a type of cancer that the
only thing I knew about was based on my memories of a childhood friend that was
diagnosed and was given almost no chance of surviving. WHAT!…
WHY?... Why?.... why.
He's so innocent… and perfect… and full of
joy. He's my little buddy. He was my Caleb. My little man.
My lima bean. I always knew that if I had a boy I would name him
Caleb, and he and I would be God's warriors, strong in faith, just like the
biblical Joshua and Caleb.
We tend to view life as a series of peaks
and valleys, and we had recently been praising God for the peak we seemed to be
recently ascending. Life was looking good. We felt like we had just
started to get our feet on some stable ground. And now the floor just
dropped out from under us. Why? Doesn't God know we're not
strong enough to handle something of this magnitude? Our lives have
always been blessed. We've been the strong ones for others in need.
We try to help others. But we're not strong enough to handle
something ourselves!
As I'm writing this, 3 days after being
admitted, I realize how silly that is. God doesn't want us to handle anything
on our own. My sister brought a wonderful 365 daily devotional. Here’s an excerpt from August 18 (the day she
gave it to us, and the first full day in PICU):
“ Expect to encounter adversity in your
life, remembering that you live in a deeply fallen world… The main problem with
an easy life is that is masks your need for Me… Anticipate coming face to face
with impossible situations totally beyond your ability to handle. Watch Me working on your behalf, as you rest
in the shadow of My Almighty Presence.” Woa.
In addition to the devotional, Pastor Perry and
others have given us verses to read. One
of the great things about an iPhone, is I have a Bible app which I’m able to
take notes on as I read verses. So I’ve
also been able to refer back to some of these as well. God and His word have never been so alive in
our lives. I love the imagery God gives
us in Isaiah 40:30-31 when He talks of children growing tired and weak, but if
we hope in the Lord, He will renew our strength and we will soar on wings like
eagles. I’ve also found strength in
Isaiah 33:2, “Lord, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation
in time of distress.”
As much as I wished we weren’t going through
this right now, I have so many things to praise God for. I praise God for our family, friends and
church family. We have so many people
wanting to help however they can. We’re
only a few days into this, and we already have amazing stories of how people
have helped. We’ve already seen everything
from yard work, to supplies of breast milk being donated for Eli. (Yes, you
read that right! And yes, it is plural) We’ve had visitors every day, which words
can’t express how grateful we are for.
It’s allowed Amy and I have some much needed personal time, as well as
lifted Caleb’s spirits. Although, Caleb
has been so wonderful through everything so far. Rarely does he cry. I guess if he did, he wouldn’t be Caleb. He always has a smile on his face. The doctor’s are amazed at how happy he
is.
Amy and I know this is going to be a long
haul. I think our fear of the unknown is
the worst part in this. We know all we
can do is put our hope in God, and know that He is an awesome God. No matter how experienced the doctors may
be, no matter what the success rate for treating this type of cancer, without God on our side, it is all futile.
Knowing that, I have several prayers.
I pray that Caleb would never lose his joy. This is a prayer I began months ago. As he has grown, his sinful nature has
displayed itself, requiring more and more discipline. I’ve become concerned, and begun to pray that
I wouldn’t “discipline” the joy out of him.
Now I pray that he would maintain his joy throughout his treatments, and
that his joy would be supplanted with the overwhelming joy of the Holy Spirit. I pray God would give us strength each
morning to overcome whatever adversity we might face. I also pray that we would have opportunities
to encourage others while we’re in the hospital. There is a lot of sadness in the PICU and
pediatric wing, both with the parents and the children. I pray God would shine through our lives and
brighten the day of those we are able to interact with. I pray for the safety of our friends and
family that drive the long distance to come visit us. I pray for Baker and Elijah. I pray they would not feel overlooked or
neglected as we travel down this road.
Lastly, I pray for healing for our precious little Caleb. I pray that although we look forward to the
day where this is all behind us, I pray that we would treasure all the little
moments of watching each of our children develop and grow over the next few
years. That our memories would not be
overshadowed by treatments and doctor visits.
That they would be filled with memories of potty-training, and learning
to swim, and building forts, and all the other little things that create a
childhood.
Before I sign off on this very long post, I
need to mention one more thing…
When Baker was born, one of my prayers was
that I would accept whatever God's plan is for her life. That I would
recognize she is His child before she is mine. That I would not fight Him
over her. Whether illness, or missionary work in a faraway land, I wanted
to dedicate her life to Him. When Caleb was born, I prayed the same
thing, but not as fervently. I was seeing Baker grow up, and it was
getting harder to pray that prayer for my children. I was getting selfish. I loved them, and
didn't want to see any harm come to them. I didn’t want them to be called
away from me. I enjoyed them too
much! By the time Elijah was born, that
prayer was a distant memory. Not that it was intentionally ignored, It
had just been slowly replaced by other prayers, as it was not on the top of my
list of priorities anymore. Now we prayed for things like patience, and
wisdom to raise our children to be obedient.
We asked God to help us to raise them to be generous, courageous to
speak God’s word, kind to others, and above all else, for our children to love
God and to ask Jesus to be their personal Lord and Savior so that the Holy
Spirit would fill them and help them to make good decisions in life.
This is a bold wakeup call that my children
are not a gift from God, but just a wonderful and beautiful loan from God.
And he does want them back, and I have no control over the timing of
when. My job is just to make sure that when he calls them home, I've done
all I can to raise them in a way that they know that God's home is their true home,
and that they know their way there.



14 comments:
Amy wasn't kidding when she said to grab Kleenex BEFORE reading this! Thank you for sharing your heart Josh!
Thanks for sharing, Josh. Beautifully written. Boy, that devotion entry was timely. I, too, fail to recognize that my kids are on loan from God. I have good, and honest intentions for them, but fail to remember that we serve a great God who has a purpose set out for their lives (and mine too!)
I know it's only been a few days on this journey, but your thoughts are already beautiful and insightful. I have a feeling we will ALL learn as a result of this challenge. Thank you for being willing to share.
We love you guys!
Kevin, Val, Ryan and Dillon
Beautiful. Thank you Josh.
Please know that I am among those praying for all of you. Thank you for letting us experience a taste of what you guys are going. Caleb is on my mind many times a day. I wish Grant and Kim were closer so they could be part of your army of support!
Um kleenex?! No Kidding!!! I am bookmarking this to help encourage me on my experience w Alec. The part about not being overshadowed w Dr visits, therapies, illness.... It really speaks to me because so much of Alec's life IS that. I wish I had realized what an inspiring person I was sitting next to at my first visit to church, maybe I'd have squashed more tightly between u guys in hopes of biblical and spiritual osmosis!!! AND you guys... Your desires of showing God's love and grace to other has come true and is PLENTIFUL!!!! Your family and your attitude has helped me through this relapse that Alec is having and I can only HOPE to have grateful eyes on the Lord like you. THANKYOU sooooo much for sharing and for being a blessing to many:)
But ps... I LOVE the part where u say YOU'RE not strong enough for this- ANOTHER striking lesson for me. God knew what he was doing all those years ago when I was teasing u tirelessly about telling me the name of your unborn child! AWESOME post!!!! From an inspiring family...xOxOx
Josh, thanks for being so transparent. What great insight God has given to you. Amy was right. I needed Kleenex while I read this. You guys are special. I am praying for Caleb's healing and God's strength while all of you go through this.
Well I forgot the kleenex but my T-shirt worked as well. I have traveled a similar road as you know and I must say that when you see someone else on the road it does help you to remember the goodness of God and how He met you every day at your point of need. His Word became so important to me! Lord, YOU MUST speak to me today through Your Word. I cannot make it any other way. I am so needy. And He graciously fed me His Word and kept me going. I think that the only good thing about going through something as painful as this is that you will know the LORD God, King of the Universe, in a deeper and closer way then you ever have before. But that does not mean you will like the process. It is so hard and I think because Caleb is so young it is harder still. May He give you the grace and strength you need for each day, each moment. May others find the love of God through your painful journey. God's Blessings and my help whenever I can be of service to you. Love, Jamie
Thanks for sharing. My heart hurts for you and I pray that God will give your family the strength and courage to get through this ordeal. I know you will come out the other side stronger and you will inspire a lot of people along the way.
Oh that children everywhere had dads with your insight, Josh. Keep sharing your story because you are bringing glory to our God. Bill and I are praying w/o ceasing for little Caleb and you all. On a side note, I use the same devotional and it is so powerful.
Well said, my friend. You all are loved by the Maker and sustainer of the universe, and by us!
From today's entry of Jesus Calling-
"Entrust your loved one to Me; release them into My protective care. They are much safer with Me than in your clinging hands. If you let a loved one become an idol in your heart, you endanger that one--as well as yourself."
Josh, we admire your perspective and willingness to entrust Caleb (and Baker and Eli) to the Lord. We Pray that you can find deep satisfaction with the Lord's love during this time, and that you are instilled with peace and courage. Your fam is already a bright light, I am so so encouraged by you sharing your heart with us all. Thank you.
Thanks Josh for your thoughts! God is central in all this! Keep your focus on Him and you will have His peace and Joy. Praying for you all! Thanks Josh!!!! I was blessed by reading that!
Thank you for reminding all of us who we all belong to. Your family continues to amaze me each day. You are in our prayers and I'm so happy to see that Caleb's spirit remains happy! I volunteered for the Child Life program in college and I was happy to hear they will be helping you guys through the process! God bless all of you
Post a Comment