Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Baker Fairy (guest post by Josh)

Yesterday, we drove to Ikea to check out bunk beds, since we will soon be in need of one, and on the way up there, Baker asked me which side of the bed I slept on. Was it that one, or that one? I told her that one? She asked, "That one?" I said, "Yup, that one." (I didn't understand the difference between "that one" and "that one". They sounded the same to me.)

She then told us she had brought along for the ride a piece of paper that she planned on using to write either mommy or me a note with. And that she was going to wait until we were asleep to choose who to give it to.

Flash forward to that evening. I was putting Baker to bed, and she told me not to look at the note on the counter, because she was going to give it to either mommy or me when we went to sleep. She also asked when we were going to sleep. I told her around 10, and it was only about 8 right now. She said, "ok, I'll count to 10."

Flash forward to 2am... Baker's door opens, which wakes both Amy and me because it's squeeky. Amy asked Baker if she was ok. Baker said yes, she just needed to go pottty. After she was in there for a few minutes, I went in to see if she was ok. She instantly started crying, and saying, "NO DADDY, NO DADDY, NO DADDY." I noticed the piece of paper was on the counter, so I told her it was ok, I would let her finish going potty and that I was going to go back to sleep.

I left, only to come back a few minutes later when I realized she wasn't calming down. So I gave her some hugs to help calm her down, and then told her again that I was going back to sleep, and when she was done, just to go back to bed.

A few minutes later, the light turns off in the bathroom, and Amy and I hear her quietly walking into our bedroom. Ahhh... the moment of truth! Who was she going to pick?

I soon heard Baker walking over to my side of the bed. She gently lifted the corner of my pillow, and placed the note under it, before turning and going back to her room and going back to bed.

In the morning, when we all got up around 8am, she came into our bedroom and excitedly asked if I found something under my pillow! I was very excited to be the one she picked. Here's the note:




The translation of the note according to Baker is: "Dear Daddy, I love you. and scrabble, scrabble, scrabble." (Baker uses the word scrabble to describe her scribbling)

Now, here's the "rest of the story". While we were getting ready for church, Baker told me I had teased her yesterday by telling her I slept on "that side" of the bed, when I really slept on "that side." (I still don't see the difference, but I do know my daughter is super precious!)

2 comments:

Flick said...

That is the one of the most precious stories ever! Seriously so precious!!!

Unknown said...

I love this story. It should be a magazine article in a parenting magazine or?

Thanks for sharing it Josh.