Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Caleb's big day

Caleb's big day didn't have the excitement of Baker's big day, but it had it's own excitement!

The night before, we had Mountain Mike's pizza with our families, our last attempt to induce "naturally"!

Baker spent the night with Amy's parents last night, and will spend the night with my parents tonight. She's not allowed in the hospital, so she won't get to meet Caleb until Friday when we're discharged.

We arrived at the hospital at 5:30am (ouch!), and checked in. By the way, the new hospital is really fancy! We only got to see the entrance, as we passed right on by to go to the same old maternity ward.

We were placed in the same labor room (room 222) as with Baker. We answered a bunch of questions, Amy got into her gown, and then we waited for about half an hour for all of the doctor's to show up. Not too bad, considering I wait longer at my doctor's office when I check in for a normal appointment.


At about 8:00am, they wheeled Amy into the surgery room, leaving me to put my surgery gown on. At about 8:20am, they came and got me. At 8:27am Caleb was born. They don't mess around. 8 pounds, 8 ounces. 19 1/2 inches long.

Even though Amy and I really didn't have any idea, I think both of us were probably under the impression that the baby was going to be a girl. (I think it's even safe to say we were a little bit hoping it would be a girl) Probably just because we already have Baker and know what to expect with a girl. So we were surprised once again when the baby turned out to be a boy!

When the doctor's were taking Caleb out, and just his head was out, they told me I could peek around the curtain to see him. Don't worry, I don't have pictures of that. As soon as his head was out, he started crying. He probably continued to cry for the next half an hour to hour. Amy commented that he sounded like a cat! In fact the only time he didn't cry was when they placed him next to Amy. He knew she was his mommy! Pretty amazing!


Then they took Caleb and me into the nursery to get him cleaned up and do all the things they need to do to him. Apparently, when Caleb and I left, Amy commented to the doctors that she wanted another one. WHOA there little girl! How about we wait until they mop the floor!

The nurses have been so sweet to Amy! Big props go out to Denise Schamber. She's been watching over Amy all day. When Amy was released from the recovery room, Denise put us back into the labor room, which is huge! She kept us in there as long as she could, until it was needed for the next delivery that came in.

We've had our families all visit up to this point (except for poor auntie Erin down in San Diego, and uncle Aaron who had to go back home Monday). It's been about all Amy can handle. Amy's on pain medication, which is zapping her of all energy. She can barely keep her eyes open at this point.

We're now sharing room 217, although our roommate is supposed to be checking out. I don't know if we'll have it to ourselves after that or not.

That's it for now. Look around on the link below for more pictures, and sometime in the near future, a video (with a surprise ending!)

7 comments:

Jesica Allen said...

YAY! Way to go Josh with updating the blog with cute pictures!!
Congrats he is beautiful!...and BIG!! :)
...hey didn't I say a while back that it was going to be a boy.

Sarah said...

Yay! COngrads on your big boy! Love the name! Although I thought you guys were going to go with something different like his big sis! Hope everyone is feeling good.

Katie Bernhoft said...

He's so beautiful!!!! I can't wait to meet him and hold him and kiss him...I told you it was going to be a boy :)...You guys do a great job at making beautiful children!

Harper said...

Congrats on the little-big bundle! Boys rock!

Becky said...

So happy for you guys. I guess you have to relearn it all the boy way. Way to go Josh......quick on the blog trigger!

Flick said...

Oh my goodness, I just can't wait to meet Caleb!!! Congrats!!! By the way Josh, you just had to put that on the video, huh? Definitely was a surprise!

Mike and Sandy said...

Congratulations, he is gorgeous!