Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bed bugs (post by Josh)

Amy’s been fighting a cold for about a month now, and I picked it up from her about two weeks ago. It doesn’t seem serious, more sinus congestion than anything else. It’s mostly just annoying because we can’t seem to shake it.

A few weeks ago, Baker caught it, but in typical two-year old fashion, she was only “down” for about two days. (Baker being “down” is drastically different from me being “down”. When I go down, I’m virtually dead to the world. Amy can vouch for this. When Baker goes down, instead of running everywhere, she just walks briskly!)

The first night Baker came down with it, she woke up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep. She was congested, and didn’t seem to know what else to do than cry. The few times Baker has gotten this way, it seems the only thing that has calmed her down is for either Amy or I to go into her room and hold her. This night was no different. Amy went in first to try to console her, but soon after Amy had calmed her down and got her back to sleep, Baker woke up again, congested and crying. It was my turn next.

The amazing thing was I went in there and just laid on the floor next to her crib, and it was all she needed to calm her down. I slept in there on the floor the rest of the night, and she was calm the rest of the night. It got me thinking about how our relationship should be with God. I’m not going to tell you how that should be, but I’ll give you two hints:

  1. There’s a reason He’s called our Heavenly Father
  2. We’re the 2-year old in the story

1 comment:

Jaime said...

That was really beautiful, Josh. And I hope you all are feeling better soon! Being congested can be so annoying- ick.