Wednesday, October 7, 2009

to push, or not to push ...

You probably know that I had a c-section with Baker. She was stuck and wouldn't come out. Recovering from the surgery was a bear ... and I'm looking into ways to avoid another surgical delivery with Baby E.

I had a Vbac (Vaginal birth after cesarean) consultation appt today in Modesto. The medical group has a beautiful, new office (they play DVDs in the waiting room on their flat-screen tv, and there is a decorative, ceramic elephant sculpture in the restroom - to give you an idea). The doctor was very nice and open. After looking at my c-section report from Baker's birth she said that I would be a candidate for a Vbac (although she didn't say a "good candidate") and would be willing to take me as a patient. Here are some key notes about Vbac: 1. No going past the due-date, 2. No inducing labor with drugs, 3. The hospital could change their Vbac policy at any point. Currently, there is only one hospital in Modesto that offers them - and it's not the nice, new, swanky hospital. I've been told the Vbac hospital is comparable to Lodi Memorial.

Soo, now we have a decision to make: bust a move and join a new practice, or bunker down in Lodi for a c-section? I think we'll give ourselves a week or two to think and pray about this.

6 comments:

Jesica Allen said...

Oh Amy, your so funny! I'm sure you guys will make the best decision for you and baby. From a person who has been there both ways (just in the reversal order), all I can say is that your recovery with a vbac will depend your delivery goes. If baby comes out and you have no "complications" (you know what I mean, right?) then the recovery will definitely be easier. But if God forbid you end up having something happen like I did with Nate... then the c-section was a WAY easier recovery! (Dr. Leslie told me that recurring c-section recoveries are ALOT easier)
Good luck, I know it's a hard decision.

Mettler's said...

Sorry about the craziness earlier! I think you are going about this the right way (1-2 weeks to think and pray about it)! It's all going to work out exactly as it should! :) (Don't you just love vague positive comments like that!)

Harper said...

Hey Cuz, I must say...my recovery with my "big boy" au'natural was not smooth....i think it took weeks to even walk normally!!! People who have smooth recoveries with natural birth are VERY lucky! My girlfriend who had a c-section had an easier recovery than I did. Good luck! :)

Sarah said...

Hey, gotta agree w/Harper there! I have only had vaginal and w/Ava it was a awful recovery and she was less than 7lb! And then w/the second it was a great recovery and he was over 8lb! I am thinking it was because my body had already done it. Good luck either way!! :) (love your blog!)

Becky said...

what a shame they don't do these in Lodi.....I don't know much about the issue, but it seems like they need to move into the new century!

Larissa said...

I have a close friend whose first child's birth was a c-section with lots of complications. Two years later, she had a very successful vbac.