Thursday, July 29, 2010

Little mermaid

Baker took her first swim lessons the past 2 weeks. 8 days of lessons. 8 days of tears.

They took place in Rick & Debbie Marks' pool. Baker and Kaitlyn each took a half hour lesson from Nicole.

Things started off swimmingly (pun-intended). Baker was floating wonderfully and was relatively happy to be in the water. But when things started getting tough, the tears began. Bake would cry as soon as she saw Nicole enter the backyard. And poor Kaitlyn would cry when Baker and I would enter the yard!


Before the first lesson began, Bake told us, "Maybe Nicole can teach me to put my head under water?" And after the first lesson she said, "Tomorrow I will jump into the water, to Nicole." Needless to say, neither task seemed as desirable the following day.

Baker learned how to crawl along the wall, jump and grab the side, kick while holding a foam noodle, float, and blow bubbles with her face under water. Nicole is a great teacher, despite the student's tears. While Baker is happy the lessons are over ("I don't have to do swim today, mommy"), I am looking forward to Baker building on the fundamentals next summer.

Caleb stayed home while Mimi and Gigi took turns babysitting him. I think they'd agree with me when I say that it was fun for both of them. He slept, smiled, ate, pooped and generally loved life with his grandmas taking care of him.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Awww... poor Baker! (or poor mommy???) Sorry I still haven't called. Zeke is teething!!! And his schedule has gone wooooonnnnkkkyyy! But I'll see you all tomorrow and we can catch up and plan all sorts of fun stuff for Sept :).

The Graumans said...

I LOVE this!!! Those pictures with commentary are the best! She was very good at side tracking me....I never told you this story... Once I wiped her nose and she started to cry "I can't do this now, I need to pick my boogers!" Gotta love her tryin every angle! ;) Thanks for the great re-cap, I had fun despite the tears!